School of Architecture & Design Coronavirus (COVID-19) Information
Updated as of: 07/24/2020 at 4:15pm
This page will be updated with information specific to School of Architecture & Design students as it becomes available.
For the latest updates about fall semester planning, contact your Departmental Chair.
Monitor email and the Protect KU site for the most up-to-date information about KU planning, policies, guidance, and resources.
Guiding Principles of the School’s Planning
The safety of our students and the quality of educational experiences the School provides are of upmost importance as we work with the University to develop plans to reopen campus for the fall semester.
Access to School Facilities
- The School is following University guidelines in keeping facilities open to students who need to retrieve personal items, access labs, shops, and resource spaces. However, access to some facilities is currently restricted. See Access Policies below for specific information.
- Effective 3/19/20, the exterior doors on Chalmers, Marvin and Marvin Studios will be locked. The key card access doors can be entered by swiping your KU ID card. All faculty, staff and students enrolled in Arc/D courses are programmed into the locks. If you have any problems with the lock reading your card, contact Amy Hardman.
- The School is as well following University guidelines in recommending that students do not return to campus unless completely necessary. Students should practice social distancing whenever possible to mitigate the spread of this disease.
- Any individual accessing School facilities is required without exception to follow CDC preventative measures and University policies for returning travelers and for those who are sick, or have been in proximity to those who are sick.
- See KU Coronavirus (COVID-19) Information page for the latest policies. These guidelines are subject to immediate change.
- Returning travelers—applies to both foreign and domestic travel—must follow the latest University guidelines for travelers. If you have traveled anywhere outside of the United States, or to any of the states currently listed, you must follow the steps below:
- Quarantine at home for 14 days upon return to the U.S. Do not attend school, work or any other setting where you are not able to maintain about a 6-foot distance from other people.
- Call and report any symptoms of respiratory illness, such as fever, a dry cough or shortness of breath, to a local medical provider for instructions on treatment.
- Stay home if you think you may be sick, except to get medical care. Learn what to do if you are sick.
- Stay home if you have been in the proximity of others who are, or have been sick.
- Please understand that the actions each one of us take over the next two weeks are critical to limiting the spread of COVID-19. Do not underestimate the power of individual decisions.
No food or drink is allowed in any studio, lab, or shop. Wash hands before and after accessing spaces. Do not spend any more time in these spaces than necessary. Keep at least six feet of distance between you and others. Occupancy of any space is limited to less than 10 individuals. Follow all CDC preventative measures and University policies.
*Though this policy has not yet been instituted, students should be prepared for a complete closure of campus for the remainder of the semester.
Architecture Studios: Marvin, Marvin Studios, Snow, and Chalmers architecture studios are accessible.
Architecture Computer Labs: Marvin 223 and 309, Snow 119, and Chalmers 312 architecture computer labs are accessible.
Design Labs and Studios: All design facilities are closed and key codes have been changed. Design students should not return to Chalmers. If you need something from your locker or dedicated studio, please contact your area coordinator to obtain access: First Year Students, Kent Smith; Illustration, Barry Fitzgerald; Industrial Design, Betsy Barnhart; Photography, Elise Kirk; Visual Communication Design, Andrea Herstowski; Graduate Students, Michael Eckersley.
East Hills: East Hills is available to instructors who teach there. Students should contact their instructors for guidance about access.
Hatch Reading Room: The Hatch is accessible by appointment. Appointments will be made by email only. No walk-ins will be allowed. Hours are 9:00am-5:00pm Monday through Friday only. No weekend or evening hours for the remainder of the semester.
Laser Lab, CNC, Wood Shop: Accessible by appointment. Appointments will be made by email only. No walk-ins will be allowed. Hours are 9:00am-5:00pm Monday through Friday only. No weekend or evening hours for the remainder of the semester.
- More information will be announced. Watch for emails from department chairs and individual instructors.
- Fall 2020 planning for Design students
- Architecture and Interior Architecture students will be receiving enrollment information via email over the coming weeks. Advisors are available to all students by phone or videoconference.
- KU Remote Learning Resources
- KU Anywhere VPN Service *KU IT is working to expand capacity--see updates here
- Remote instruction steps, including connection steps for both ARCH Project and DSGN servers: Mac ; PC
- Virtual Architecture Computer Lab
- Adobe Creative Cloud (students may access Adobe Creative Cloud at no cost on their personal computer until May 30th)
- KU Software: free and discounted software and applications for KU student, faculty, staff
- How to KU: information and tutorials on how to use KU technology resources
- Computing questions:
- Steve Fair (Design/Mac Computing Specialist)
- Andrew Feuerborn (ARCH/IA/PC Computing Specialist)
- Henry Troyer (Director of Computing Services)