School of Architecture & Design Coronavirus (COVID-19) Information
Updated as of: 08/19/2020 at 6:13 p.m.
This page will be updated with information specific to School of Architecture & Design students as it becomes available.
For the latest updates about fall semester planning, contact your Departmental Chair.
Monitor email and the Protect KU site for the most up-to-date information about KU planning, policies, guidance, and resources.
Access to School Facilities
- School buildings will be accessible from 7:00 a.m to 10:00 p.m, Monday through Friday.
- To access any campus building, all students, faculty and staff must use the CVKey symptom checker app.
- When present on campus, all students, faculty and staff are required to wear a cloth face covering, surgical/medical face mask, or Powered Air-Purifying Respirator (PAPR) suit over one's mouth and nose when in common areas (as defined below) anywhere on campus.
- Except while in classrooms, face coverings/masks/PAPR suits may be removed for brief periods for the purpose of eating or drinking.
- Face coverings/masks must have elastic, loops, ties, or other means to hold them in place.
- Neck gaiters and face coverings/masks with vents are not permitted.
- Custodial staff will begin sanitation operations of campus buildings after 10:00 p.m. daily, including disinfectant fogging of rooms. All facilities must be cleared for safety reasons by 10:00 p.m. For more info about sanitation operations see: https://protect.ku.edu/cleaning
Additional safety guidance can be found at: https://protect.ku.edu/
Wash hands before and after accessing spaces. Keep at least six feet of distance between you and others. Use provided sanitation stations before entering and after exiting rooms. Follow all CDC preventative measures and University policies. Access policies are subject to immediate change.
Architecture Studios: Varies by space. Contact instructors for info about your studio.
Architecture Computer Labs: More info forthcoming.
Design Labs and Studios: Varies by space. Contact your area coordinator with questions: First Year Students, Kent Smith; Illustration, Barry Fitzgerald; Industrial Design, Betsy Barnhart; Photography, Elise Kirk; Visual Communication Design, Andrea Herstowski; Graduate Students, Michael Eckersley.
East Hills: More info forthcoming.
Hatch Reading Room: Hours are 9:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. Monday through Friday only. No weekend or evening hours during the Fall Semester. More info forthcoming.
Laser Lab, CNC, Wood Shop: More info forthcoming.
- Watch for emails from department chairs and individual instructors.
- Fall 2020 planning for Design students
- Advisors are available to all students by phone or videoconference.
- KU Remote Learning Resources
- KU Anywhere VPN Service *KU IT is working to expand capacity--see updates here
- Remote instruction steps, including connection steps for both ARCH Project and DSGN servers: Mac ; PC
- Virtual Architecture Computer Lab
- Adobe Creative Cloud (students may access Adobe Creative Cloud at no cost on their personal computer until May 30th)
- KU Software: free and discounted software and applications for KU student, faculty, staff
- How to KU: information and tutorials on how to use KU technology resources
- Design Print Lab Requests & Resources
- Computing questions:
- Steve Fair (Design/Mac Computing Specialist)
- Andrew Feuerborn (ARCH/IA/PC Computing Specialist)
- Henry Troyer (Director of Computing Services)
All School-hosted events will be held virtually during the Fall Semester