SCHOOL OF ARCHITECTURE & DESIGN ORDER OF EVENTS
- Commencement Recognition Ceremony
- Friday, May 11, 2018: 6:00 - 7:30 PM
- The Lied Center of Kansas
ORDER OF EVENTS
- Welcome and Remarks
- Graduate Hooding Ceremony
- Undergraduate Recognition
- Closing Remarks
INFORMATION FOR ALL GRADUATES
- Parking is free in the lots that surround the Lied Center. There is a Grad ceremony for another academic unit that begins at 2:30 PM at the Lied Center. However, if you are looking to park your car at the Lied Center before attending the reception at Marvin / Chalmers Hall, KU buses will be running regular schedules before 5:00 PM on Friday, May 12. Bus routes 11 and 41 will get you to Daisy Hill / The Lied Center. Route information can be found here: http://www.lawrencetransit.org/routes#ku.
- Dress appropriately with your cap and gown. The tassel should be on the right side of the mortarboard at the beginning of the ceremony. Undergraduate students will have a blue-violet tassel and graduate students will have a black tassel. Graduate students, please don't arrive wearing your hood.
- Please leave all other your belongings with your family when you arrive at the Lied Center at the staging room will not be locked or monitored. Keep in mind, the seat you originally sit in at the Lied Center may not be the same seat you return to.
- Check in before 5:15 PM at the Pavilion of the Lied Center (NE Entry identified on attachment). Once you arrive, find your reader card and fill out any necessary remaining information. You will need this for the recognition ceremony.
- After checking in, you will be lined up by degree for the ceremony. You can line up/sit with your friends within your degree.
- At 5:45 PM, the Faculty Marshals will meet you in the Pavilion and lead you up to the Lobby outside of the Auditorium, where you will wait until the Procession of Graduates will begin promptly at 6:00 PM.
- The Faculty Marshals will lead the procession and direct you to the area where you will be seated by degree.
- After remarks by Dean Daas and others, the Graduate Hooding Ceremony will take place followed by Undergraduate Recognition .
- Upon the completion of the Graduate and Undergraduate ceremonies, closing remarks and the Alma Mater, the Faculty Marshals will direct the graduates one row at a time for the Recession out of the Auditorium. Your faculty will be lined up in front of the windows outside of the Lied Center Lobby if you want to greet them/introduce them to family after the ceremony.
INFORMATION FOR GRADUATE STUDENTS
- Place the hood over your left arm, remove your mortarboard and hold it in your right hand. When you are in line, you will hand your degree card to the student assistant. Your name will be read by Associate Dean Swann and you will proceed across the stage where you will be hooded by Associate Dean Mahbub Rashid.
- After you are hooded, you will walk across the stage and shake hands with the Vice Provost, your Department Chair and Dean Daas. The official University photographer will take your photograph while you are being hooded or shaking hands.
- As you are walking backstage, please put your mortarboard back on your head. Backstage, your photograph will be taken again by the official University photographer.
- You will go back to the auditorium where you will be directed back to the seating area by a Faculty Marshal.
INFORMATION FOR UNDERGRADUATE STUDENTS
- The Undergraduate Recognition will take place upon completion of the Graduate Hooding Ceremony. A Faculty Marshal will release each row individually. You will exit the row and walk to the stage where a Faculty Marshal will assist you in lining up.
- When you are next in line, you will hand your degree card to the student assistant. Your name will be read by the Associate Dean Swann as you walk across the stage and shake hands with the Vice Provost, your Department Chair and Dean Daas. The official University photographer will take your photograph while you are being hooded or shaking hands.
- Backstage, your photograph will be taken again by the official University photographer.
- Then you will be directed back to the seating area by a Faculty Marshal.
INFORMATION FOR FAMILY & FRIENDS
- Please enter the Lied Center through main front doors. However, the Lied Center staff will not open the doors until all the attendees of the previous recognition ceremony have left the building.
- Seating is by choice, but there are several areas that are reserved for our Graduates, Staff and Honored Guests. Ushers will be available to assist you in finding an open seat.
- After the ceremony, we kindly ask you to recess out of the auditorium and into the parking lot to meet your graduates. There will be another recognition ceremony following ours.