Undergraduate Design Admissions
All prospective students must complete the online University of Kansas application. This application serves as the application for admission to KU, University Scholarships, and the Design program.
In addition, students must submit a portfolio to be considered for admission. Admission is highly selective and competitive.
Requirements for Fall Applicants
Applicants must submit a portfolio and must be admissible to KU by assured admission or individual review.
21+ ACT (1060+ SAT) and 3.25+ GPA or 24+ ACT (1160+ SAT) and 3.0+ GPA
If you have not had the opportunity to take the ACT or SAT, your application will be given a holistic review with or without test scores.
All undergraduate applicants must submit a portfolio to be considered for admission to the Department of Design.
Portfolios are submitted online through SlideRoom. Please select "Undergraduate Student - Portfolio Submission" from the directory. For technical support questions while submitting your online application, please contact SlideRoom Support.
The online portfolio submission includes the following requirements:
Please upload 10-15 images of your strongest creative works.
- Please title each piece.
- In the description, include the medium or software used, the size, date of completion, and a brief one to two sentence description.
- In the case of documented professional or group projects, applicants should indicate personal responsibilities.
- Your portfolio must include at least two mediums. Examples: sketches, drawings, paintings, ceramics, jewelry, 3-D pieces, logos, branding, publications/yearbook, posters or any art or design-related works.
- Displaying a variety of work is essential; use your strongest pieces and good judgment.
Why are you interested in studying design, what have you done to prepare, and how do you hope to use your degree?
- To complete your application you must provide a response to the prompt.
- Please limit your response to 200-250 words.
- Priority Consideration - November 1
- Final Deadline - February 1
Portfolios are not reviewed until after the deadlines. Decision letters are sent approximately one month after the deadline. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis at the beginning of each month after the deadlines.