Graduate Scholarly Development Award

The Department of Architecture Graduate Scholarly Development Award provides scholarships to support graduate student scholarly development for the purposes of 1) presenting (in person or remote) their research or creative work at a conference of an academic or professional society with their abstracts and/or full papers being accepted to publish in the conference proceedings, 2) travel expenses for conducting research or field work directly related to the student’s doctoral research or scholarly work, 3) peer-reviewed open-access publication processing fees directly related to the student’s doctoral research or scholarly work.
This fund provides scholarships of up to $500 per award.  A graduate student is eligible to receive the scholarship up to 3 times during their graduate career.


To be eligible, graduate students must be:  

• Pursuing a PhD in the Department of Architecture.  Non-degree seeking and those pursuing a graduate certificate only are not eligible.  

•  In good academic standing at the time of application.

•  Enrolled full-time in the semester in which they are applying for the award. Please see the full-time enrollment policy here:, which includes guidelines for doctoral students who have completed the comprehensive exam.  

Students applying to fund travel or activities that will occur between May 15 and June 30 must be enrolled:    

•  the following Fall semester (Fall), 


• the preceding Spring semester (Spring) if the student intends to meet the early Fall graduation deadline (these students may request conference funds only)    


  • Except under special circumstances, a student may receive only one travel award per academic year— irrespective of the amount of travel support received.
  • Support for travel can be used to cover registration, travel, meals and lodging. Students should consult with their departmental office staff for clarification on the limits for expenses on lodging and all other expenses. Students who are co-presenters or who are traveling to the same conference are encouraged to share lodging expenses.
  • Successful applications are required to complete an Out of State Request for all Travel, irrespective of whether they are on the payroll as a GTA, GRA, GA or hourly employee. The link to the form will be sent via email once travel support has been approved. Submission of an Out of State Request for Travel is the first step to be undertaken following notification of travel support.
  • Successful applicants are required to submit original receipts for their expenses for which they are requesting reimbursement to their department office upon their return to campus.
  • Preference will be given to applicants who are presenting with a Department of Architecture faculty member, but it is not a condition for requesting support.
  • Applicants need not be the first author on the paper, but if there is more than one student author, only one student (the primary/presenting student author) is eligible to receive funding as a presenter on that paper.

Application Requirement

For applicants seeking funding for scholarly presentation, publication, or conducting research fieldwork, be prepared to provide the following:    

  • Provide a one-page abstract of the research or creative work that is being presented in PDF format 
  • Provide proof of presentation acceptance by the disciplinary or learned society 
  • Provide a support letter from the advisor to confirm the student is traveling for the research fieldwork or research instrumentation for which the funding is requested, or confirm the presentation and publication is relevant to the student’s scholarly development.
  • After the student receives the award for conferences or publications, the student should submit to the Chair of the Department of Architecture the presentation and publication within two weeks of conference travel or journal publication, and also contact Marianne Reed at to arrange for deposit of the presentation or publication in KU ScholarWorks.

Please be aware that permitted travel must adhere to current University travel policies. 

If you have any questions, please email Prof. Hui Cai, Chair of Architecture at